Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Confession: Cultivate

I suck at gardening. Everything I ever plant ends up dying. I can't even keep plants and flowers alive that are given to me. Knowing all this, Stripper (my boyfriend) decided we should "live off the land". Those were his exact words. 

He was looking at a website about the benefits of growing your own food, then looks at me and says that. 

We live in an apartment with almost no yard. We live in the city. We live in the part of the city that if people saw a garden growing, they'd probably destroy it just to be an asshole, or steal all the vegetables from it. 

So then he says, "We could just pick the stuff that grows wild and eat it. You know, like dandelions and clovers." 

I just looked at him. I was looking to see if he was joking. He wasn't. 

Later that day we were visiting his mom and dad when he walks into their neighbors yard and starts picking stuff from their lawn. See picture below. 

I wish I could say this is him picking me some flowers, but it's not. It's him looking for our "dinner".  

No, I didn't cook them. I threw them away as soon as his head was turned. 

4 comments:

  1. There are lots of things you can grow in containers in your apartment if his thumb is greener than yours!! There are at least 66 varieties of plants that do well that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been looking into growing my own peppers if they would do well inside.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with this. I've heard you can eat dandelion greens, but I've personally never felt inclined to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no intention of eating them. He can if be wants.

      Delete